WHAT IS RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING?
Recognition of prior learning is the process used to identify, assess and certify a candidate knowledge, skills and competencies aquired in non - formal or informal learning, such as work or life experience, against prescribed standards or learning outcomes. (KNQA)
- Lack of formal recognition and certification for construction skills
- Most of the construction workers REMAIN in the informal sector
- Challenges of skills development, application and wage standardization
- Low-wage jobs, unsafe conditions, no career growth for workers.
- Growing number of semi-skilled and skilled but uncertified artisans.
- Waste of operational time as jobs can only be given based on the oral statement of the applicant
- 200,000+ uncertified artisans spread across construction sites all over Kenya
- The Training iSkills broad based partnerships with regulatory bodies, private sector, donors
- TTI partnership with Habitat for Humanity International Shelter Tech program
- Year of partnership: 2019 & Ongoing
STATUS OF RPL IN KENYA
- The National Industrial Training Authority (NITA) has been implementing RPL in technician level 2,3 and 4.
- Big 4 Agenda (MTPIII) 2018 – 2022
- Identifies promotion of RPL as priority in addressing the existing skills shortage in the country.
- KNQA in consultation with stakeholders has developed the RPL Policy Framework in Kenya, 2020.
- Developed RPL implementation guidelines, 2020.
- KNQA accreditation, QA Assessment tools and certification guidelines.
The Toolkit Iskills SOLUTION
- TTI mobilization of artisans, for assessment and certification
- Online Training and Artisans Deployment (OTAD) Portal.
- Life and employability skills training for the youth
- 700 trained artisans in Mombasa in 2019
Approximate Job value of RPL artisans (Quarterly):
TTI Value proposition:
- Ongoing partnership with NITA, NCA and KNQA
- Track record in skilling Kenyan youth artisans for the construction sector.
- Application of RPL to address sector challenges e.g., exclusion of certification for many artisans
- Orienting youth towards compliance with regulatory bodies and other civil requirements.